Monday 9 January 2012

self-evaluation

In my project I wanted to emphasize fragility of human existence. I decided to choose still life and focus on Vanitas theme which is often depicted in still life painters from Flanders and the Netherlands. The message of my work should remind the viewer that joy of life is only a transient moment. The main themes that appear in my project are beauty and passing of time.

Object in my photographs are carefully chosen and carry symbols. Glass goblets and exotic fruits such as citrus fruits were a luxury. In Calvinist Holland in the Baroque period the luxury was seen as a reward for honesty and piety. The sign of being chosen by the will of God. Honesty and godliness is also a commitment to conduct exemplary and virtuous life. On the other hand, the temptation of earthly goods are attracting crime. Luxury is a sign of decadence and desire for transgression. Vice is punished with the loss of earthly goods. Unthinking attachment to luxury and immense desire of power, and so eventually leads to their loss, because all the goods are transient.

Mirror, which I decided to put next to my photographs, is a symbol of feminine beauty and attractiveness, but also their transience, vanity. It also symbolizes crossing to heaven after death.

I was also considering to put more objects that would symbolize death and passing life (such as a burning candle or a withered flower) but at the end I decided that it would too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment